Hello everyone! And Happy Friday to you! I made an ottoman cover this week. I have had this Ottoman for about 15 years, maybe longer. When I bought it, it was just an off-white/ leather-look ottoman that I paid too much for at the time, but I liked it, and have enjoyed having it in my home. I have definitely gotten my money’s worth from this piece. However, over the years, there has been much wear and tear. Not to mention, that my lovely kitty, Cinders, likes to dig her claws into the “leather” and has wreaked havoc on it, as well as other furniture in our home. [See pics below].
I have been wanting to recover it for quite some time and initially thought to use the dresden tool to make a jean pattern on the top, and just cover the sides and top with a white fabric I already had in my stash. However, when I was deciding on which fabrics to choose, I put the African print fabric on top of the ottoman, and was sold on using it as a top piece and adding a strip of that fabric to the sides. Truthfully, the three fabrics I used to create this ottoman cover were fabrics I purchased from Hobby Lobby to make pillowcases. I am not sure if I have enough left to make Pillowcase at this point, but if I do, I will definitely make them. The combinations of these cotton fabrics work so well together.
When it comes to the dresden, you can use as many colors as you like. I bought my dresden tool from Amazon. Here’s a link. Dresden Tool.
My Ottoman is 23 inches wide on the top, 14.5 inches high, and 70 inches in circumference. I only used 3 different fabrics, but honestly you could use as many as you want. I ended up with 23 pieces for my dresden wheel. With a project like this, the more pieces, the better, I think. Everything does not have to match. It’s your project, so you can be as creative as you want to be. This is my second or third quilting project. It was easy to put the pieces together, trim it, and then add it to the top piece. I see why people love quilting. Plus, this give me practice quilting, as making my first quilt is one of my goals for 2021. Below is the dresden wheel coming together, one stitch at a time.
Okay, So I created the dresden circle first, and then added the finished dresden wheel to the top piece for the ottoman. Then I started on the side piece. I added the African Print fabric for some accent, and finally, added some elastic at the bottom of the side piece so it would grip the bottom and stay put. The last part was adding the top to the sides. This was a little challenging but we got it done. So here is the final cover.
Okay, so the moment of truth. There was one thing on this project that I would have done differently. I would have measured the top of the ottoman a little bit more accurately. If I had done so, I would not have had some of the puckering that I had on the top. Of course, I can live with it, but I would rather it not be there and be flat like intended. Having said that, I love it. It turned out great, and I couldn’t be happier. Sometimes, little changes like this, especially when you take the time to make something you already love, a little better, makes your environment inviting and comforting. And now, even if Cinders gets on the ottoman and digs her nails, it is okay. The cover is also machine washable. Another bonus!
That’s a wrap for now, but I can’t wait to show you a new project, pattern, or DIY something. Thank you for allowing me to share this diy ottoman cover with you. Leave a comment and please “Like” if you like. I love sewing, and I love sharing my projects with you. Also, if you have not subscribed yet, please consider doing so. You can subscribe below. Make it a great day, and Make life better, one project at a time, for yourself and someone else.
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God.